Saturday, May 29, 2004

 

Whoredom

"Let them call me rebel and welcome, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of devils,were I to make a whore of my soul by swearing allegiance to one whose character is that of a sottish, stupid, stubborn, worthless, brutish man."
--Thomas Paine

I once temporarily angered a marginally misogynistic friend who is quite taken by the atmosphere of gentlemen's clubs. I explained that as a father, I did not feel comfortable cavorting with someone's daughter in that manner any longer. His guileless response was to the effect that the women were whores and not worthy of the same respect I would afford my loved ones. I angered him when I explained that most of us, men and women, were whores on some level. I explained that my basic definition of a whore is someone who uses their body for monetary gain. I am unwilling to argue the morality of sex for money, because a certain set of compromises exist in every physical relationship. I asked if there truly was a difference between a football player destroying their body and mostly consenting to dying earlier than an average male for material gain and a streetwalker, who certainly is doing the same. I reminded him that in our occupation, stress and unusual hours would take a toll that inevitably lead to premature death. I asked if this were not using our bodies for material gain. He scoffed, yet twenty-four hours later he actually conceded agreement with my position.

The above story is certainly a long path to get to my next point. The Bush administration is using this entire country as its own whore. "Big Pimpin'" George does not care what happens to the nation's "body", as long as "Daddy" gets paid. Between no-bid contracts for Haliburton to haul "sailboat fuel" and record profits for oil companies being blamed on OPEC (has anyone else noticed that Europe, whose already high-priced gas is supplied by OPEC, has not "enjoyed" the same spike in prices?), I wonder if we can get a better deal from another pimp. Not only does "Daddy" take such a large portion of our hard-earned income, but I certainly do not feel as safe on the streets. Asscroft and Perineum Ridge working together for Dick and Bush

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

judo
judo